Re: Removed daemons listed as stray

Hello Vlad,

Just some insight into how CEPHADM_STRAY_DAEMON works: This health warning
is specifically designed to point out daemons in the cluster that cephadm
is not aware of/in control of. It does this by comparing the daemons it has
cached info on (this cached info is what you see in "ceph orch ps") with
the return value of a core mgr function designed to list the servers in the
cluster and what daemons are on them. This function, from cephadm's point
of view, is a bit of a black box (by design, as it is meant  to find
daemons cephadm is not aware of/in control of). If you'd like to see a
rough estimate of what that looks like I'd check the output of "ceph node
ls" (you may see your non-existent osds listed there). This means, a daemon
that does not exist that cephadm is falsely reporting as a stray daemon
cannot typically be resolved through "ceph orch . . ." commands. In the
past I've found sometimes just doing a mgr failover ("ceph mgr fail") will
clear this in the case of false reports so that's what I'd try first. If
that doesn't, I'd maybe try checking if the osd is till listed in the crush
map and if so, remove it (first step in
https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rados/operations/add-or-rm-osds/#removing-the-osd
I think). It's possible that the reason the daemon rm commands hung is one
of the cleanup operations cephadm was trying to run under the hood when
removing the osd hung and so the osd is still believed to be present by the
cluster.

- Adam