Re: Moving all s3 objects from an ec pool to a replicated pool using storage classes.

Le 25/01/2022 à 14:48, Casey Bodley a écrit :
On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 4:49 AM Frédéric Nass
<frederic.nass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I've just heard about storage classes and imagined how we could use them
to migrate all S3 objects within a placement pool from an ec pool to a
replicated pool (or vice-versa) for data resiliency reasons, not to save
space.

It looks possible since ;

1. data pools are associated to storage classes in a placement pool
2. bucket lifecycle policies can take care of moving data from a storage
class to another
3. we can set a user's default_storage_class to have all new objects
written by this user reach the new storage class / data pool.
4. after all objects have been transitioned to the new storage class, we
can delete the old storage class, rename the new storage class to
STANDARD so that it's been used by default and unset any user's
default_storage_class setting.
i don't think renaming the storage class will work the way you're
hoping. this storage class string is stored in each object and used to
locate its data, so renaming it could render the transitioned objects
unreadable

Hello Casey,

Thanks for pointing that out.

Do you believe this scenario would work if stopped at step 3.? (keeping default_storage_class set on users's profiles and not renaming the new storage class to STANDARD. Could we delete the STANDARD storage class btw since we would not use it anymore?).

If there is no way to define the default storage class of a placement pool without naming it STANDARD could we imaging transitioning all objects again by:

4. deleting the storage class named STANDARD
5. creating a new one named STANDARD (using a ceph pool of the same data placement scheme than the one used by the temporary storage class created above) 6. transitioning all objects again to the new STANDARD storage class. Then delete the temporary storage class.

?

Best regards,

Frédéric.

Would that work?

Anyone tried this with success yet?

Best regards,

Frédéric.

--
Cordialement,

Frédéric Nass
Direction du Numérique
Sous-direction Infrastructures et Services

Tél : 03.72.74.11.35