Re: Moving all s3 objects from an ec pool to a replicated pool using storage classes.

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 4:49 AM Frédéric Nass
<frederic.nass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've just heard about storage classes and imagined how we could use them
> to migrate all S3 objects within a placement pool from an ec pool to a
> replicated pool (or vice-versa) for data resiliency reasons, not to save
> space.
>
> It looks possible since ;
>
> 1. data pools are associated to storage classes in a placement pool
> 2. bucket lifecycle policies can take care of moving data from a storage
> class to another
> 3. we can set a user's default_storage_class to have all new objects
> written by this user reach the new storage class / data pool.
> 4. after all objects have been transitioned to the new storage class, we
> can delete the old storage class, rename the new storage class to
> STANDARD so that it's been used by default and unset any user's
> default_storage_class setting.

i don't think renaming the storage class will work the way you're
hoping. this storage class string is stored in each object and used to
locate its data, so renaming it could render the transitioned objects
unreadable