Re: Ideas for Powersaving on archive Cluster ?

> When having software raid solutions, I was also thinking about spinning them down and researching how to do this. I can't exactly remember, but a simple hdparm/sdparm command was not sufficient. Now I am bit curious if you solved this problem with mdadm / software raid?

On the first two boxes I used HW RAID controllers from Areca. At the web interface of this controllers you can select the timeout for a spin down easily. However, I was forced to manually increase the response timeout for the disks, since the RAID Controllers did mark the drives as failed if the did not spin up quickly enough, but with a time out of 20 seconds or so I did not face that problem anymore.

Now I use BTRFS on the backup servers and the automatic spin down was straight forward, at least for WD and HGST drives. I think that it also works for the Seagate drives, but they sometimes report “unknown” instead of “standby” as drive state (hdparm -C /dev/sda).

What I did:
$ hdparm -S 241 /dev/sda # = spindown after 30 minutes

And only for the WD & HGST drives:
$ hdparm -B 128 /dev/sda