Re: Ideas for Powersaving on archive Cluster ?

Hi Christoph,

I do not have any answer for you, but I find the question very interesting.

I wonder if it is possible to let the HDDs sleep or if the OSD daemons prevent a hold of the spindle motors. Or can it even create some problems for the OSD deamon if the HDD spines down?
However, it should be easy to check on a cluster without any load and optimally on a Custer that is not in production, by something like:

$ hdparm -y /dev/sda # spin down the hdd sda

Wait a minute or so and check if the HDD is sill sleeping by

$  hdparm -C /dev/sda

If the "drive state is:  standby” at least for several minutes, you could try to set a timeout for an automatic  spinn down of the drive. e.g.:

$ hdparm -S 243 /dev/sda # = spindown after (243-240)*30 minutes = 1.5 hours.

You may need to change the Advanced power management (APM) level before the drive does an automatic spinn down. The current APM level can be checkt by
$ hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep level
> Advanced power management level: 128

You can set it by
$ hdparm -B 128 /dev/sda
The man page of hdparam states ..“values 128 through 254 (which do not permit spin-down)”…

Best regards,
Sebastian