"Just works" no-typing drive placement howto?

There's got to be some obvious way I haven't found for this common ceph use case, that happens at least once every couple weeks.   I hope someone on this list knows and can give a link.  The scenario goes like this, on a server with a drive providing boot capability, the rest osds:

1. First, some capable person, probably off-site, identifies a drive owned by an OSD that needs replacing.    Maybe the drive totally failed, maybe it fails intermittently, or maybe it's working but just past the safe number of hours.  The person sends a text to a 'good with tools, but not software' person on site to replace a specific drive.

2. Second, the on-site person clicks nothing, types nothing, pulls the correct drive, does the screwdriver thing to put a new disk in the caddy, pops the drive back into the server.

3. Third, and this is the step that needs to go away:  An off-site person does a bunch of typing to bring that drive online.

Ceph has a way to 'make any disk it finds into an OSD', which is great until the drive that got replaced isn't meant for ceph such as the boot drive(s).

I feel this has been solved but I can't find it.  Any help?

Thanks

Harry Coin