Re: have buckets with low number of shards

Hey Mahnoosh,

> Running cluster in octopus 15.2.12 . We have a big bucket with about 800M
> objects and resharding this bucket makes many slow ops in our bucket index
> osds. I wanna know what happens if I don't reshard this bucket any more?
> How does it affect the performance? The performance problem would be only
> for that bucket or it affects the entire bucket index pool?

Unfortunately, if you don't reshard the bucket, it's likely that
you'll see widespread index pool performance and stability issues,
generally manifesting as one or more OSDs becoming very busy to the
point of holding up traffic for multiple buckets or even flapping (the
OSD briefly gets marked down), leading to recovery. Recovering large
index shards can itself cause issues like this to occur. Although the
official recommendation, IIRC, is 100K objects per index shard, the
exact objects per shard count at which one starts to experience these
sorts of issues highly depends on the hardware involved and user
workload.

Josh