Re: Why you might want packages not containers for Ceph deployments

Hi Anthony,

El 19/11/21 a las 8:56, Anthony D'Atri escribió:
Here’s an idea for discussion:
Might we mull over the idea of switching to a more incremental release cadence, a la Slack or iTerm2?  Would that help obviate the current situation where we sort of have three release trains going at any time?

I am not advocating for or against this idea, but it would be an interesting discussion.

I don't see how this would help maintaining production clusters, it would do the opposite IMHO.

Now admins have the option to stick with old versions, and upgrade only after new releases have proven stable enough for them. That wouldn't be possible with a more incremental release cadence, as I assume that supported time would shorter than now, less time to stabilize and bugfix so... no rock solid version would exist at all?

What is the incentive for a Ceph cluster admin to upgrade that cluster? Cluster is working, no new features needed. Running a supported version can be a good reason, but not at the cost of stability and reliability.

Cheers

Eneko Lacunza
Zuzendari teknikoa | Director técnico
Binovo IT Human Project

Tel. +34 943 569 206 | https://www.binovo.es
Astigarragako Bidea, 2 - 2º izda. Oficina 10-11, 20180 Oiartzun

https://www.youtube.com/user/CANALBINOVO
https://www.linkedin.com/company/37269706/