Re: Why you might want packages not containers for Ceph deployments

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 1:05 PM Martin Verges <martin.verges@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hello Dave,
>
> > The potential to lose or lose access to millions of files/objects or
> petabytes of data is enough to keep you up at night.
> > Many of us out here have become critically dependent on Ceph storage,
> and probably most of us can barely afford our production clusters, much
> less a test cluster.
>
> Please remember, free software comes still with a price. You can not
> expect someone to work on your individual problem while being cheap on your
> highly critical data. If your data has value, then you should invest in
> ensuring data safety. There are companies out, paying Ceph developers and
> fixing bugs, so your problem will be gone as soon as you A) contribute code
> yourself or B) pay someone to contribute code.

It's always tricky when one gets edgy.  I completely agree with your
statements on free software.

For the record, I don't actually have any Ceph problems right now.  It's
been pretty smooth sailing since I first set the cluster up (Nautilus on
Debian with Ceph-Ansible).  Some procedural confusion, but no outages in 18
months  and expansion from 3 nodes to 12.

So it's not about my pet bug or feature request.  What it is about is
exactly the undeniable and unavoidable dilemmas of distributed open source
development.  Ceph is wonderful, but it is incredibly complex all on it's
own.  It wouldn't be easy even if all of the developers were sitting in the
same building working for the same company.

Further explanation:  Our Ceph cluster is entirely funded by research
grants.  We can't just go out and buy a whole second cluster for data
safety.  We can't go to management and ask for more systems.  We can't even
get enough paid admins to do what we need to do.  But we also can't allow
these limitations to impede useful research activities.  So unpaid overtime
and shoe-string hardware budgets.

We (myself and the researcher I'm supporting) chose Ceph because it is
readily scalable and because it has redundancy and resiliency built in in
the form of configurable failure domains, replication and EC pools.  I've
looked at a lot of the distributed storage solutions out there.  Most,
including the commercial offerings, don't even come close to Ceph on these
points.

> Don't get me wrong, every dev here should have the focus in providing rock
> solid work and I believe they do, but in the end it's software, and
> software never will be free of bugs. Ceph does quite a good job protecting
> your data, and in my personal experience, if you don't do crazy stuff and
> execute even crazier commands with "yes-i-really-mean-it", you usually
> don't lose data.

I believe you that there are a lot of good devs out there doing good work.
Complexity is the biggest issue Ceph faces.  This complexity is necessary,
but it can bite you.

My honest perception of Pacific right now is that something dreadful could
go wrong in the course of an upgrade to Pacific, even with a sensible
cluster and a sensible cluster admin.  I wish I could pull some scrap
hardware together and play out some scenarios, but I don't have the time or
the hardware.

To be completely straight, I am speaking up today because I want to see
Ceph succeed and it seems like things are a bit rough right now.  In my
decades in the business I've seen projects and even whole companies
collapse because the developers lost touch with, or stopped listening to,
the users.  I don't want that to happen to Ceph.

> The real point here:  From what I'm reading in this mailing list it
> appears that most non-developers are currently afraid to risk an upgrade to
> Octopus or Pacific.  If this is an accurate perception then THIS IS THE
> ONLY PROBLEM.
>
> Octopus is one of the best releases ever. Often our support engineers do
> upgrade old unmaintained installations from some super old release to
> Octopus to get them running again or have propper tooling to fix the issue.
> But I agree, we as croit are still afraid of pushing our users to Pacific,
> as we encounter bugs in our tests. This however will change soon, as we are
> close to a stable enough Pacific release as we believe.

Sorry if I wrapped Octopus in with Pacific regarding stability.  Still
there are a lot of folks saying that they will stick with Nautilus.  Not
sure why that is.  However, I'm just starting to think about exactly these
questions because I know I will have to move off of Nautilus eventually.
And it looks like I'll have to accept the move to containers even though I
have serious concerns about operational maintainability due to the inherent
opaqueness of container solutions.

-Dave