Re: [Suspicious newsletter] Re: slow ops at restarting OSDs (octopus)

Hello Istvan,

as described on the ceph docu page this ratio will be multiplied with
the value from osd_heartbeat_grace which is defaulted to 20 seconds.

The product is 16 seconds which is the lease ticket time. So your
requests can theoretically be blocked up to 16 seconds. For our usecase
this is way to long to accept this while doing normal maintenance of the
hosts like os-updates or something like this.

with 0.2 the lease ticket times are only 4 seconds which is not realy
nice but we could live with this. The smaller the value will get, the
greater the cpu load will get because of renew this lease tickets.

This issue we could reproduce with a 3 Node 12 OSD Cluster which only
containd a coulple of test objects.

Until now I didn't find a satisfying solution.

Manuel

On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 11:56:48 +0000
"Szabo, Istvan (Agoda)" <Istvan.Szabo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Running into the same issue, have you got any answer for the side
> effect? Also what's the reason you've set it to 0.2?
>
> I started to have this issue above 1 billions of objects and still
> suffering with it.

Manuel Lausch

Systemadministrator
Storage Services

1&1 Mail & Media Development & Technology GmbH | Brauerstraße 48 |
76135 Karlsruhe | Germany Phone: +49 721 91374-1847
E-Mail: manuel.lausch@xxxxxxxx | Web: www.1und1.de

Hauptsitz Montabaur, Amtsgericht Montabaur, HRB 5452

Geschäftsführer: Alexander Charles, Thomas Ludwig, Jan Oetjen, Sascha
Vollmer

Member of United Internet

Diese E-Mail kann vertrauliche und/oder gesetzlich geschützte
Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie nicht der bestimmungsgemäße Adressat
sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, unterrichten Sie
bitte den Absender und vernichten Sie diese E-Mail. Anderen als dem
bestimmungsgemäßen Adressaten ist untersagt, diese E-Mail zu speichern,
weiterzuleiten oder ihren Inhalt auf welche Weise auch immer zu
verwenden.

you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby
notified that saving, distribution or use of the content of this e-mail
in any way is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender and delete the e-mail.