Re: Cephfs + inotify

On Fri, 2021-10-08 at 21:27 +0200, Daniel Poelzleithner wrote:
> On 08/10/2021 21:19, David Rivera wrote:
>
> > I've used inotify against a kernel mount a few months back. Worked fine for
> > me if I recall correctly.
>
> It can very much depend on the source of changes. It is easy to imagine
> changes originating from localhost get inotify events, while changes
> from other hosts might not.

This is the case.

inotify is really only implemented within the VFS layer of the kernel.
There are no hooks into the underlying filesystem drivers for it
currently.

There were some handwavy plans to add support for it to cifs.ko several
years ago (SMB has protocol support for this sort of thing), but they
never came to fruition.

ceph would also need to extend the MDS protocol to do this (most likely)
and the caps subsystem would probably make it really hard to do any sort
of immediate notification on certain types of changes.
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>