Re: Billions of objects upload with bluefs spillover cause osds down?

RGW stores a lot of metadata in the db of OSDs [1], so I would expect to see extensive usage on db device if you store billions of objects through RGW.

Anyway, splitting over should not cause OSDs to reboot, and should still work better than not having dedicated db device, unless the db device itself is overloaded. Have you checked the OSD logs to find the root cause of the reboots? I would also check whether the nvme device is overloaded.

[1]: https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rados/configuration/bluestore-config-ref/#sizing

发件人: Szabo, Istvan (Agoda)<mailto:Istvan.Szabo@xxxxxxxxx>
发送时间: 2021年9月28日 22:49
收件人: Janne Johansson<mailto:icepic.dz@xxxxxxxxx>
抄送: Ceph Users<mailto:ceph-users@xxxxxxx>
主题:  Re: Billions of objects upload with bluefs spillover cause osds down?

Yes, I understand you but that time you wouldn't have issue because it can fit on the OSD or it would use the space on the osd which is ssd.

Or I don't know then what's the secret of storing billions of objects, the osds are not even used 20%, if I calculate as of the current situation, even if I use 1x 2TB nvme for wal+db, if the 15.3TB osd will be at 50%, the nvme would be full again, so I should use for 1x 15.3 TB SSD drive 4TB nvme in front of each of them which doesn't makes sense I guess.

Istvan Szabo
Senior Infrastructure Engineer
Agoda Services Co., Ltd.
e: istvan.szabo@xxxxxxxxx