From: Janne Johansson <icepic.dz@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 1:36 PM
To: Szabo, Istvan (Agoda) <Istvan.Szabo@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ceph Users <ceph-users@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  Billions of objects upload with bluefs spillover cause osds down?

Email received from the internet. If in doubt, don't click any link nor open any attachment !

Den tis 28 sep. 2021 kl 08:15 skrev Szabo, Istvan (Agoda)
<Istvan.Szabo@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Regarding point 2, how can it spillover if I wouldn’t use db device just block.

It can't but it ACTS like if you had 100% spillover.

The act of spilling over is a symptom of db sharing device with data.
If you have no dedicated device, then ALL db shares device with data.
If you have a db device and it is too small for the whole DB, then PARTS will spill over and you get a notice so you can decide how to act.
The spillover is not the problem, it is a symptom of "I have more DB than my db device can hold". No DB device means "immediately I get the same effect as 100% spillover".

Think of it as a small glass of water spilling over when you over fill it. If the glass is small, lots of spillover. If the glass is missing, ALL water "spills over".