Re: Tool to cancel pending backfills

Am 26.09.21 um 19:08 schrieb Alexandre Marangone:
> Thanks for the feedback Alex! If you have any issue or ideas for
> improvements please do submit them on the GH repo:
> https://github.com/digitalocean/pgremapper/
>
> Last Thursday I did a Ceph at DO tech talk, I talked about how we use
> pgremapper to do augments on HDD clusters. The recording is not
> available yet but the gist is:
>  - set nobackfill/norebalance
>  - create all your osds -> PGs are in backill state but not data movement
>  - cancel all backfills with pgremapper -> PGs are back to active+clean
>  - unset nobackfill/norebalance -> nothing happens
>  - turn on ceph balancer or use pgremapper undo-upmap to do your
> augment in a controlled way

Thanks anyone for the pointer. Great tool!

I have a question regarding the last step. It seems to me that the ceph balancer is not able to remove the upmaps

created by pgremapper, but instead creates new upmaps to balance the pgs among osds.

Is this expected? The ideal way would be try to remove undo upmaps to achieve balance rather than creating

more and more upmaps.

This way it might happen that we have an upmap for a pg from OSD A to OSD B and an upmap for another pg from OSB B to OSD A

whereas it would just be enough to have no upmap at all.

Thanks,

Peter