Re: Tool to cancel pending backfills

Thanks for the feedback Alex! If you have any issue or ideas for
improvements please do submit them on the GH repo:
https://github.com/digitalocean/pgremapper/

Last Thursday I did a Ceph at DO tech talk, I talked about how we use
pgremapper to do augments on HDD clusters. The recording is not
available yet but the gist is:
 - set nobackfill/norebalance
 - create all your osds -> PGs are in backill state but not data movement
 - cancel all backfills with pgremapper -> PGs are back to active+clean
 - unset nobackfill/norebalance -> nothing happens
 - turn on ceph balancer or use pgremapper undo-upmap to do your
augment in a controlled way

Our main motivation to do it this way is that on HDD clusters flapping
is a fact of life and creates recovery PGs that are blocked by the
backfill reservations from the augment. As more flapping occurs, the
number of degraded objects increases which is always uncomfortable.
Doing an augment this way allows us to have N backfills at a time,
wait for completion -> let recovery happen -> undo N more upmaps ->
etc. which dramatically lowers the amount of time a cluster is
degraded.