Re: A simple erasure-coding question about redundance

>> Yes. You should have more hosts for EC 4+2, or .. less K.
>
> I'll second that. You should have at least k+m+2 hosts in the cluster for erasure coding. Not only because of redundancy but also for better distributing the load. EC is CPU heavy.
>
> Regards

I agree operationally, but FWIW ISTR that in Pacific …. or maybe it was Octopus …. the default min_size was changed to K from K+1.  Perhaps that doesn’t affect existing pools without intervention?

With small clusters especially, there are other reasons to favor more hosts, even if they have to be smaller.  Ways to get there include 1U servers instead of 2U, not initially filling all drive slots.