Re: SATA vs SAS

On Sat, 21 Aug 2021 at 22:34, Teoman Onay <tonay@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You seem to focus only on the controller bandwith while you should also consider disk rpms. Most SATA drives runs at 7200rpm while SAS ones goes from 10k to 15k rpm which increases the number of iops.
>
> Sata 80 iops
> Sas 10k 120iops
> Sas 15k 180iops

We currently have Seagate ST2000NX0433 SAS (2TB) drives and am
considering getting Toshiba MG07ACA14TA 14TB 3.5-Inch LFF 6Gbps 7.2K
RPM 4Kn MG07ACA Series SATA Hard Drives instead.

So spin speed is the same.
The SATA drives have 248 MiB/s Maximum Sustained Data Transfer Speed
vs the 136MB/s of the SAS drives.
The MTBF of the SAS drives is 2.5 Million hours vs the SAS's 2 million hours

So on paper the new SATA drives look better than the SAS drive.

Of course, that is not taking the controller and SCSI features into account.

> MBTF of SAS drives is also higher than SATA ones.
>
> What is your use case ? RGW ?  Small or large files ? RBD ?

RBD, general usage for KVM and LXC in a multi-tenant hosting
environment.  The Database hosting is done on NVMe SSD's and the WAL's
on Intel SSD's.

The I guess the question really is how import is it for ceph to an
intelligent drive interface.  From my limited understanding of this,
it seems that the whole design of ceph is so that this doesn't really
matter than much, unlike in a traditional RAID environment.