SATA vs SAS

Hi all,

(I asked this on the Proxmox forums, but I think it may be more
appropriate here.)

In your practical experience, when I choose new hardware for a
cluster, is there any noticable difference between using SATA or SAS
drives. I know SAS drives can have a 12Gb/s interface and I think SATA
can only do 6Gb/s, but in my experience the drives themselves can't
write at 12Gb/s anyway, so it makes little if any difference.

I use a combination of SSD's and SAS drives in my current cluster (in
different ceph pools), but I suspect that if I choose SATA enterprise
class drives for this project, it will get the same level of
performance.

I think with ceph the hard error rate of drives becomes less relevant
that if I had used some level of RAID.

Also, if I go with SATA, I can use AMD Epyc processors (and I don't
want to use a different supplier), which gives me a lot of extra cores
per unit at a lesser price, which of course all adds up to a better
deal in the end.

I'd like to specifically hear from you what your experience is in this regard.