Re: Question about mon and manager(s)

Hi,

1. In my cluster I have three monitors; when one monitor is down (I simply shut down) raising a ceph -s underline that there are two monitors alive and one down; when 2/3 of monitors down the cluster became unresponsive (ceph -s remains stuck); is this normal?

yes, this is expected. Your cluster is only responsive if your MONs can form a quorum, so 2/3 should be online (3/5 etc.)

2. In the ceph website I've read to install one manager for each monitor; however I've found instructions to install just the first manager on first monitor; can I follow the same procedure to install the additional managers or a different procedure (like the one followed for the additional monitors) is required?

The same you did with the MONs applies to the MGRs, the procedure is the same for every additional daemon you deploy.

3. Running CentOS I disabled firewalld and selinux; considering the production cluster behind a perimeter firewall and not queried directed by clients but through an API, your ideas about this choice is welcome;

It's a common deployment to have gateways for your clients, e.g. the rados-gateway for the S3 protocol or an iSCSI gateway for RBD.

Regards,
Eugen

Zitat von "Francesco Piraneo G." <fpiraneo@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi all,

finally my (test) cluster is up and running!

Thank you very much for all the people here in list that helped me.

I now have some final questions:

1. In my cluster I have three monitors; when one monitor is down (I simply shut down) raising a ceph -s underline that there are two monitors alive and one down; when 2/3 of monitors down the cluster became unresponsive (ceph -s remains stuck); is this normal?

2. In the ceph website I've read to install one manager for each monitor; however I've found instructions to install just the first manager on first monitor; can I follow the same procedure to install the additional managers or a different procedure (like the one followed for the additional monitors) is required?

3. Running CentOS I disabled firewalld and selinux; considering the production cluster behind a perimeter firewall and not queried directed by clients but through an API, your ideas about this choice is welcome;

4. Any experience to share about running ceph on debian instead of centos / rhel is also welcome.

I point to share my work and any opinion will be appreciated.

Francesco