Re: Multiple DNS names for RGW?

Hey Burkhard, Chris, all,

On 16/08/2021 10:48, Chris Palmer wrote:
It's straightforward to add multiple DNS names to an endpoint. We do this for the sort of reasons you suggest. You then don't need separate rgw instances (not for this reason anyway).

Assuming default:

 * radosgw-admin zonegroup get > zg-default
 * Edit zg-default, changing "hostnames" to e.g.  ["host1",
   "host1.domain", "host2", "host2.domain"]
 * radosgw-admin zonegroup set --infile zg-default
 * Restart all rgw instances

Please excuse my confusion, but how does this relate to the endpoints of zonegroup and zones then.
What does setting endpoints (or hostnames even) on those actually do?

If I may split my confusion up into some questions ....

1) From what I understand is that a zone has endpoints to identify how it can be reached by other RGWs to enable communication for multisite sync.
So having

  * s3-az1.example.com (zone "az1")
  * s3-az2.example.com (zone "az2")

as endpoints in each zone of my two zones allows the two zones to talk to each other.

But does this have to match the "rgw dns name" setting on the RGWs in each zone then? Or could I potentially just add all the individual hosts (if they were reachable) of my RGW farm to avoid hitting the loadbalancer in front?

2) How do the endpoints of the whole zone-group relate then? Do I simply add all endpoints of all zones?
What are those used for then?

3) How would one go about having a global DNS name used to always point to the master zone Would I just add another "global" or "generic" hostname, let's say s3.example.com to the zonegroup as an endpoint and have the DNS point to the LB of the current master zone? The intention would be to avoid involving the clients having to update their endpoint in case of a failover.

Thanks and with kind regards

Christian