From: Etienne Menguy <etienne.menguy@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: 17 August 2021 10:27:14
To: ceph-users
Subject:  Re: PGs stuck after replacing OSDs

Hi,

It’s hard to explain as issue is no longer here, if it happens again “ceph pg x.y query” output could be useful.

I don’t think you went too fast or removed too many disks in a single step.
As you only have 3 nodes, Ceph should have directly noticed degraded PG and could not do much.
You didn’t had to set them out as you removed them from crushmap just after.

If you are able to change disk without restarting host, I would advise you to do it one by one.
Any osd issue on the 2 others servers will lead to a service outage, as you’ll end with a single copy of some PG.
If you have to deal with issues, you’ll prefer to have a cluster with 3% of degraded objects rather than 33%.
Also, it will be less impacting for your users as more OSD will be available to handle IO.

>From my experience, restarting OSD/cluster is sometimes a fix for strange issues.

Étienne