Re: Is it a bad Idea to build a Ceph Cluster over different Data Centers?

Hi Ralph,

As of my experience, the cluster stretched between 2 DCs is a good idea
only if:
1. You have either a super reliable network, like 3 independent links from
different providers, or you have the majority of nodes in one DC, let's say
2/3 nodes are located in DC-1 and 1/3 in DC-2
2. Your interconnection speed is at least 10G between DCs and really small
latency, like 3-5 ms (500Mbps and 1G is too slow for the production with
high workload, but enough for POC)
To achieve more data durability and availability - and this is the
cornerstone of your idea I believe, - I would suggest implementing rbd
mirroring for block storage and multizone deployment for object-store.

With regards,
Vladimir.