Is it a bad Idea to build a Ceph Cluster over different Data Centers?

Hi,

I have a question about architecture:

Normally it is recommended to build a Ceph Cluster within one Data center. In a Data center I have a network with 1Gbit/s and it is working great with my Kubernetes Cluster running in the same data center.

For more reliability I plan to add ceph nodes running in a different data center. The data centers are not connected directly and need to communicate via public IPs. I did some tests and - not surprising - the network performance is going down to 500Mbit/s between two nodes in two different data centers.

My questions are:

1. Is 500Mbit/s to slow to run a ceph cluster?
2. Is it a bad idea to build a Ceph Cluster with nodes in different
   data centers if the network bandwith is only 1Gbit/s?

The background: My idea was that the cluster becomes more robust because I am no longer bound to a single data center (which also implies a vendor lock-in).

What is your opinion about this idea running nodes in different data centers?

Thanks in advance

====
Ralph