Re: Can single Ceph cluster run on various OS families

Absolutely.

I’ve migrated clusters, eg. from Ubuntu to RHEL, and from Ubuntu Trusty to Bionic, in a rolling fashion.

I strongly suggest arranging for the Ceph version to be *exactly* the same on both OS releases, so that you’re only changing one variable at a time.

It appears that there is a way to upgrade CentOS 7 to 8 without re-imaging the boot drive.  If you go to Ubuntu, you’ll likely have to re-image.  Either way, ensure that your OSD drives are *not* wiped by the process.

If you proceed as you describe, adopting first, I *think* you can bring back the OSDs with `ceph-volume lvm activate`.

I’m less sure about how to manage the mon, mgr, and iscsi-gw services; perhaps someone else can chime in.

I do suggest that you test out the plan on a lab/dev cluster first, and that you give the cluster some time, say, a week, between Ceph and OS upgrades, just out of an abundance of cautionoia.

— aad