Question re: replacing failed boot/os drive in cephadm / pacific cluster

Hi

In a Pacific/container/cephadm setup, when a server boot/os drive fails
(unrelated to any osd actual storage):  Can the boot/OS drive be
replaced with a 'fresh install OS install' then simply setting up the
same networking addressing/ssh keys (assuming the necessary
docker/non-ceph pkgs are installed)?

Up to now I've been backing up and restoring 'boot/os drives', but that
seems like it ought not be necessary any longer.   I have some hopes
setting up a 'basic OS with the correct ssh keys, and networking
address' should make it possible to, sort of  'stand well back and
watch' while cephadm installs the necessary containers to restore the
osds and whatever else.   It would be nice to have a stack of 'ready to
go boot/os drives' where all that's needed is a network, hostname and
'authorized keys' tweak.

Or is it 'better' to continue going to the trouble of
backing-up/restoring server boot drives?

???

Thanks

Harry Coin