Cephfs slow, not busy, but doing high traffic in the metadata pool

We have a nautilus cluster where any metadata write operation is very slow.

We're seeing very light load from clients, as reported by dumping ops in
flight, often it's zero.

We're also seeing about 100 MB/s writes to the metadata pool, constantly,
for weeks on end, which seems excessive, as only 22GB is utilized.

Should the writes to the metadata pool not quiet down when there's nothing
going on?

Is there any way i can get information about why the MDSes are thrashing so
badly?