RBD as a boot image [was: libceph: get_reply osd2 tid 1459933 data 3248128 > preallocated 131072, skipping]

Hey Markus, Ilya,

you don't know with how much interest I am following this thread,
because ...

>> Generally it would be great if you could include the proper initrd code for RBD and CephFS root filesystems to the Ceph project. You can happily use my code as a starting point.
>>
>> https://github.com/trickkiste/ltsp/blob/feature-boot_method-rbd/debian/ltsp-rbd.initramfs-script
>
> I think booting from CephFS would require kernel patches.  It looks
> like NFS and CIFS are the only network filesystems supported by the
> init/root infrastructure in the kernel.

... we have been looking for a while to a discussion about using RBD
(not cephfs) as a replacement for a hard disk. Linux can map RBD
devices, so should Linux not also be able to *boot* from an rbd device
similar to a regular disk?

I did not find any example of this yet, but I'd assume that conceptually
one would probably:

- preload a Linux kernel from the network (potentially via ipxe)
- specify root=rbd://fsid/pool/image

Or in a even *better* variant:

- the bootloader (ipxe?) can map RBD
- the bootloader pre-loads enough of the image for reading the partition
- the bootloader either loads the kernel + initramfs *or* chainloads
  another bootloader

What are your thoughts on this? Do-able or totally crazy?

Best regards,

Nico

--
Sustainable and modern Infrastructures by ungleich.ch