ceph pool size 1 for (temporary and expendable data) still using 2X storage?

ceph pool size 1 for (temporary and expendable data) still using 2X storage?

Hey Ceph Users!

With all the buzz around chia coin, I want to dedicate a few TB to
storage mining, really just to play with the chia CLI tool, and learn
how it all works.

At the whole concept is about dedicating disk space for large
calculation outputs, the data is meaningless.

For this reason, I am hoping to use a pool with size 1, min_size 1,
and did set up the same.

However, as a proxmox user, I noticed that this pool appears to still
use 2X storage space, or at a minimum, the pool's maximum size is
limited to 50% of total storage space (not that I plan on maxing out
my storage for this.)

I suspect there is a novice-user failsafe which ensures foolishly
configured size=1 is automatically treated as size=2...

Can anyone point me towards how best to leverage my ceph cluster to
store expendable data at size=1 without wasting x2 actual disk space?

My cluster is perfectly balanced, so I am reluctant to pull an osd
out, generally don't have any other disks on hand, and don't plan to
spend money on additional storage for this endeavour. I do want to
ensure I am not wasting more space than I am expecting though.

(Small hobby cluster, if it matters)

Josh