From: Matthias Ferdinand
Date: 2021-04-19 17:35
To: huxiaoyu@xxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: ceph-users
Subject: Re:  any experience on using Bcache on top of HDD OSD
On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 10:31:30PM +0200, huxiaoyu@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Dear Cephers,
>
> Just curious about any one who has some experience on using Bcache on top of HDD OSD to accelerate IOPS performance?
>
> If any, how about the stability and the performance improvement, and for how long the running time?

Hi,

I have not used bcache with Bluestore, but I use bcache in a Jewel
cluster with Filestore on XFS on bcache on HDD, and I haven't seen any
bcache-related trouble with this setup so far. I don't have journal on
bcache, journal is separated out to SSD.
>From time to time I drained and detached the caching device from an OSD
just to see if the added complexity still has some value, but latency
(as measured by iostat on the OSD) would go up by a factor of about 2 so
I kept bcache active on HDD OSDs.

For Bluestore I don't know how much (if at all) bcache would improve
performance where WAL/DB is placed on SSD already.

A word of warning: never use non-DC-class SSDs for bcache caching
devices. bcache does some write amplification, and you will regret it if
using consumer grade SSDs. Might even turn out slower than plain HDD
with highly irregular latency spikes.

Regards
Matthias