Re: any experience on using Bcache on top of HDD OSD

Hi,
I also have used bcache extensively on filestore with journals on SSD
for at least 5 years. This has worked very well in all versions up to
luminous. The iops improvement was definitely beneficial for vm disk
images in rbd. I am also using it under bluestore with db/wal on nvme
on both Luminous and Nautilus. This is a smaller cluster also for vm
disk images on rbd, and the iops appeared to be improved. However as
Matthias mentioned, be sure to get the right types of SSD's as you can
have strange performance issues. Make sure you do fio testing as I
found on paper Intel DC S4600 looked ok but performed very badly in
sequential 4k writes. Also keep an eye on your drive writes per day as
in a busy cluster you may hit 1DWPD or more.
Stability has been very good with bcache. I'm using it on Ubuntu and
have had to use newer kernels on some of the historical LTS releases.
In 16.04 the 4.15 edge kernel is recommended, newer versions stock
kernel is fine.
Rich