Re: has anyone enabled bdev_enable_discard?

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 9:00 AM Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/12/21 5:46 PM, Dan van der Ster wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > bdev_enable_discard has been in ceph for several major releases now
> > but it is still off by default.
> > Did anyone try it recently -- is it safe to use? And do you have perf
> > numbers before and after enabling?
> >

> I have done so on SATA SSDs in a few cases and: it worked
>
> Did I notice a real difference? Not really.

Thanks, I've enabled it on a test box and am draining data to check
that it doesn't crash anything.

> It's highly debated if this still makes a difference with modern flash
> devices. I don't think there is a real conclusion if you still need to
> trim/discard blocks.

Do you happen to have any more info on these debates? As you know we
have seen major performance issues on hypervisors that are not running
a periodic fstrim; we use similar or identical SATA ssds for HV local
storage and our block.db's. If it doesn't hurt anything, why wouldn't
we enable it by default?

Cheers, Dan