Re: Can I create 8+2 Erasure coding pool on 5 node?

Thank you for the answers.

But I don't have problem with setting 8+2. The problem is the expansion.

I need to move the 5 node with data in it and add 5 node later because
they're in different city. The goal I'm trying to reach is 8+2 (host
crush rule)
So I want to cut the data 10 pieces and put them in 5 node. After
adding the other 5 node I want to move 5 piece of the data to new
nodes and have 8+2 in the end.

Also the data is S3 and I shouldn't break RGW multisite to continue
later...  If I can not continue then the data will be garbage anyway.
If I use internet for sync the data, it will take 1 month or more. Its
easier to take 5 node in "B" and bring to "A" and create cluster, sync
the data and move back to B :)
Because of that I need to create 5 node cluster first with "8+2 EC",
sync the data, move the 5 node to B datacenter, add the other 5 nodes
later and rebalance all the data to reach 8+2 (host)
But I really don't know it will work. I'm using Replication this is
the first time dealing with EC setup.

BTW: Every node has 20x14TB Sas and 4x900GB SSD for RGW index. ( SSD's
are Replication 3)

Dan van der Ster <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 25 Mar 2021 Per, 22:03