Networking Idea/Question

Hello,

If anybody out there has tried this or thought about it, I'd like to know...

I've been thinking about ways to squeeze as much performance as possible from the NICs  on a Ceph OSD node.  The nodes in our cluster (6 x OSD, 3 x MGR/MON/MDS/RGW) currently have 2 x 10GB ports.  Currently, one port is assigned to the front-side network, and one to the back-side network.  However, there are times when the traffic on one side or the other is more intense and might benefit from a bit more bandwidth.

The idea I had was to bond the two ports together, and to run the back-side network in a tagged VLAN on the combined 20GB LACP port.  In order to keep the balance and prevent starvation from either side it would be necessary to apply some sort of a weighted fair queuing mechanism via the 'tc' command.  The idea is that if the client side isn't using up the full 10GB/node, and there is a burst of re-balancing activity, the bandwidth consumed by the back-side traffic could swell to 15GB or more.   Or vice versa.

From what I have read and studied, these algorithms are fairly responsive to changes in load and would thus adjust rapidly if the demand from either side suddenly changed.

Maybe this is a crazy idea, or maybe it's really cool.  Your thoughts?

Thanks.

-Dave

--
Dave Hall