From: Dan van der Ster
Date: 2021-03-13 14:28
To: Robert Sander
CC: Ceph Users
Subject:  Re: How big an OSD disk could be?
On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 6:35 PM Robert Sander
<r.sander@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 12.03.21 um 18:30 schrieb huxiaoyu@xxxxxxxxxxxx:
>
> > Any other aspects on the limits of bigger capacity hard disk drives?
>
> Recovery will take longer increasing the risk of another failure in the
> same time.

Another limitation is that OSDs should store 100 PGs each regardless
of their size, so those PGs will each need to store many more objects
and therefore recovery, scrubbing, removal, listing, etc... will all
take longer and longer.

So perhaps we'll need to change the OSD to allow for 500 or 1000 PGs
per OSD eventually, (meaning also that PGs per cluster needs to scale
up too!)

Cheers, Dan