Re: How big an OSD disk could be?

Den fre 12 mars 2021 kl 18:10 skrev huxiaoyu@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<huxiaoyu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Dear cephers,
> Just wonder how big an OSD disk could be? Currently the biggest HDD has a capacity of 18TB or 20TB. It is suitable for an OSD still?
> Is there a limitation of the capacity of a single OSD? Can it be 30TB , 50TB or 100TB a single OSD? What could be the potential limit?

I think your patience will be the limit. If you stick 8x or 10x 20TB
drives in a box, it will take a very long time to fill them to say,
50%.
That would be some 80-100TB to move over the network and a lot of IO
spread over only 8-10 drives before it settles, which would be a long
time on spinning drives.
Unless the objects are huge, 100TB of files/objects would mean many
many millions of writes just to fill the OSD and its list of contents.
For spinners, it would mean many many millions of head movements just
to write it all out, hopefully never encountering a random bad block.

After you have filled that up, if such a host crashes or needs
maintenance, another 80-100TB will need recreating from the other huge
drives.

I don't think there are specific limitations on the size itself, but
as the single drive becomes larger and larger, just adding a new host
or a drive will mean the cluster is rebalancing for days or weeks if
not more.

At some point you would end up having the cluster almost never in
HEALTH_OK state because of normal replacements, expansions and other
surprises, which in turn could cause secondary problems with mon DBs
and things like that.