Re: Questions RE: Ceph/CentOS/IBM

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 9:20 AM Teoman Onay <tonay@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just go for CentOS stream it will be at least as stable as CentOS and
> probably even more.
>
> CentOS Stream is just the next minor version of the current RHEL minor
> which means it already contains fixes not yet released for RHEL but
> available for CentOS stream. It is not as if CentOS stream would be a beta.

This is fundamentally not true.  Centos stream uses the "rolling release"
model, which means that it is not versioned (there will be no CentOS stream
8,9,10,etc).
This is an absolute nightmare to manage if you are trying to run a large
scale homogenous fleet of systems, and makes it completely unsuitable for
this task.
Given that this is the ceph-users mailing list, my guess is that most
people here run large numbers of homogenous machines that run a Ceph
cluster.  Centos Stream is a horrible choice of platform to do this.

When people talk about a distribution's stability, they are usually not
talking about "does it crash a lot"; they are talking about the frequency
of change.  CentOS Stream is essentially the definition of "unstable".

To answer OP's question, a bunch of choices are outlined here
<https://itsfoss.com/rhel-based-server-distributions/>.

I have no personal experience with any of these, but I would probably check
out Rocky Linux <https://rockylinux.org/> first since it was created by one
of the original CentOS developers

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 5:39 PM Radoslav Milanov <
> radoslav.milanov@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > +1

> > > This natural / logical thinking, the only one to blame here is
> > IBM/redhat. If you have no regards for maintaining the release period as
> it
> > was scheduled, and just cut it short by 7-8 years. More professional
> would
> > have been to announce this for el9, and not change 8 like this.
> > >
> > > How can you trust anything else they are now saying???? How can you
> know
> > the opensource version of ceph is going to be having restricted features.
> > With such management they will not even inform you. You will be the last
> > know, like all clients. I think it is a valid concern.

This e-mail and all information in, attached to, or linked via this
e-mail (together the ‘e-mail’) is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the intended addressee(s). Access to,
or any onward transmission, of this e-mail by any other person is not
authorised. If you are not the intended recipient, you are requested to
immediately alert the sender of this e-mail and to immediately delete this
e-mail. Any disclosure in any form of all or part of this e-mail, or of any
the parties to it, including any copying, distribution or any action taken
unlawful.

This e-mail is not, and is not intended to be, and should
not be construed as being, (a) any offer, solicitation, or promotion of any
kind; (b) the basis of any investment or other decision(s);  (c) any
recommendation to buy, sell or transact in any manner any good(s),
product(s) or service(s), nor engage in any investment(s) or other
transaction(s) or activities;  or (d) the provision of, or related to, any
advisory service(s) or activities, including regarding any investment, tax,
legal, financial, accounting, consulting or any other related service(s).