Re: Backups of monitor

> So if you are doing maintenance on a mon host in a 5 mon cluster you will still have 3 in the quorum.

Exactly. I was in exactly this situation, doing maintenance on 1 and screwing up number 2. Service outage. I will update to 5 as soon as I can.

Secondly: I actually do not believe a MON update has any meaning. It will be behind the current term the moment the down MON rejoins quorum. If you loose all MONs, you would try to bring the cluster up on an outdated backup. Did you ever try this out? I doubt it works. I would expect this MON to wait for an up-to-date MON to show up as a sync source. I suspect it will neither form nor join quorum. If you force it into quorum you will likely loose data if not everything.

You don't need a backup of the MON store. It can be rebuild from the OSDs in the cluster as a last resort, the procedure has been added to the ceph documentation. Otherwise, just make sure you always have a quorum up. If you really need to refresh a MON from scratch, shut it down, wipe the store and bring it up again.

Best regards,
Frank Schilder
AIT Risø Campus
Bygning 109, rum S14