Re: Using RBD to pack billions of small files

Hi Frederico,

On 04/02/2021 05:51, Federico Lucifredi wrote:
> Hi Loïc,
>    I am intrigued, but am missing something: why not using RGW, and store the source code files as objects? RGW has native compression and can take care of that behind the scenes.
Excellent question!

>    Is the desire to use RBD only due to minimum allocation sizes?
I *assume* that since RGW does have specific strategies to take advantage of the fact that objects are immutable and will never be removed:

* It will be slower to add artifacts in RGW than in an RBD image + index
* The metadata in RGW will be larger than an RBD image + index

However I have not verified this and if you have an opinion I'd love to hear it :-)

Cheers