Re: kvm vm cephfs mount hangs on osd node (something like umount -l available?) (help wanted going to production)

Hi Eugen,

Indeed some really useful tips explaining what goes wrong, yet this
thread[1] is about cephfs directly mounted on the osd node. I was having
this also quite some time without any problems until suddenly I ran into
the same issue as they had. I think I did not have any issues with the
kernel client cephfs mount with luminous until I enabled the cephfs
snapshots. Then I had to switch to the fuse client.

In my case I am running a vm on the the osd node, which I thought would
be different. I have been able to reproduce this stale mount just 2
times now. I have been testing with 10x more clients and it still works.
Anyway I decided to move everything to rbd. I have been running vm's
with rbd images without problems colocated on osd nodes for quite some
time. I really would like to use the hosts because they have each
16c/32t and an average load of just 2-3.

Unfortunately I did not document precisely how I recovered from the
stale mount. I would like to see if I can reduce the amount of steps to
take. Things started happening for me after I did the mds failover. Then
I got blocked clients that I could unblock and fix the mount with mount
-l

Thanks for the pointers, I have linked them in my docs ;)