after octopus cluster reinstall, rbd map fails with timeout

More banging on my prototype cluster, and ran into an odd problem.

Used to be, when I create an rbd device, then try to map it, it would initially fail, saying I have to disable some features.
Then I just run the suggested disable line -- usually

  rbd feature disable poolname/rbdname  object-map fast-diff deep-flatten

and then I can map it fine.

but now after the latest cluster recreation, when I try to map, I just get

# rbd map testpool/zfs02
rbd: sysfs write failed
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try "dmesg | tail".
rbd: map failed: (110) Connection timed out

and no errors in dmesg output

if I try to disable those features anyway, I get
librbd::Operations: one or more requested features are already disabled(22) Invalid argument

nothing in /var/log/ceph/cephadm.log either

Any suggestions?

--
Philip Brown| Sr. Linux System Administrator | Medata, Inc.
5 Peters Canyon Rd Suite 250