Re: Provide more documentation for MDS performance tuning on large file systems

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 10:39 AM Janek Bevendorff
<janek.bevendorff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > What exactly do you set to 64k?
> > We used to set mds_max_caps_per_client to 50000, but once we started
> > using the tuned caps recall config, we reverted that back to the
> > default 1M without issue.
>
> mds_max_caps_per_client. As I mentioned, some clients hit this limit
> regularly and they aren't entirely idle. I will keep tuning the recall
> settings, though.
>
> > This 15k caps client I mentioned is not related to the max caps per
> > client config. In recent nautilus, the MDS will proactively recall
> > caps from idle clients -- so a client with even just a few caps like
> > this can provoke the caps recall warnings (if it is buggy, like in
> > this case). The client doesn't cause any real problems, just the
> > annoying warnings.
>
> We only see the warnings during normal operation. I remember having
> massive issues with early Nautilus releases, but thanks to more
> aggressive recall behaviour in newer releases, that is fixed. Back then
> it was virtually impossible to keep the MDS within the bounds of its
> memory limit. Nowadays, the warnings only appear when the MDS is really
> stressed. In that situation, the whole FS performance is already
> degraded massively and MDSs are likely to fail and run into the rejoin loop.
>
> > Multi-active + pinning definitely increases the overall MD throughput
> > (once you can get the relevant inodes cached), because as you know the
> > MDS is single threaded and CPU bound at the limit.
> > We could get something like 4-5k handle_client_requests out of a
> > single MDS, and that really does scale horizontally as you add MDSs
> > (and pin).
>
> Okay, I will definitely re-evaluate options for pinning individual
> directories, perhaps a small script can do it.

There is a new ephemeral pinning option in the latest latest releases,
but we didn't try it yet.
Here's our script -- it assumes the parent dir is pinned to zero or
that bal is disabled:

https://github.com/cernceph/ceph-scripts/blob/master/tools/cephfs/cephfs-bal-shard

Too many pins can cause problems -- we have something like 700 pins at
the moment and it's fine, though.

Cheers, Dan