Re: replace osd with Octopus

Hi,

Thank you Eugen for pointing it out. Yes, OSDs are deployed by
cephadm with drive_group. It seems that the orch module simplifies
the process to make it easier for users.

yes it does, you can also manage your OSDs via dashboard which makes it also easier for some users.

When replacing an osd, there will be no PG remapping, and backfill
will restore the data on the new disk, right?

That depends on how you decide to go through the replacement process. Usually without your intervention (e.g. setting the appropriate OSD flags) the remapping will happen after an OSD goes down and out.

In case of restoring a host with multiple OSDs, like WAL/DB SSD
needs to be replaced, I see two options.
1) Keep cluster in degraded state and rebuild all OSDs.
2) Mark those OSDs out so PGs are rebalanced, rebuild OSDs, and
   bring them back in to rebalance PGs again.

These are basically your options, yes.

The key here is how much time backfilling and rebalancing will take?
The intention is to not keep cluster in degraded state for too long.
I assume they are similar, because either of them is to copy the
same amount of data?
If that's true, then option #2 is pointless.
Could anyone share such experiences, like how long time it takes
to recover how much data on what kind of networking/computing env?

No, option 2 is not pointless, it helps you prevent a degraded state. Having a small cluster or crush rules that only allow few failed OSDs it could be dangerous taking out an entire node, risking another failure and potential data loss. It highly depends on your specific setup and if you're willing to take the risk during rebuild of a node. The recovery/backfill speed is also depeneding on the size of OSDs, the object sizes, amount of data, etc. You would probably need to search the mailing list for examples from someone sharing their experience or so, I don't have captured such statistics.

Regards,
Eugen

Zitat von Tony Liu <tonyliu0592@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

[...]

Thanks!