Re: Ceph on ARM ?

Sorry, I can't compare. Not used Ceph in anger anywhere else. In our case
we were looking for Kubernetes on-premises storage and several points led
us to the Ambedded solution. I wouldn't expect them to have the sort of
throughput of a full size Xeon server but for our immediate purposes that
is not really an issue.

   - It was a turnkey solution with support. We knew very little about
   either Kubernetes or Ceph and this was the least risk for us.
   - Size and power. We only have single racks in two datacentres, space is
   a serious consideration. Ceph is very machine hungry and the alternatives
   like Softiron even ran to 7U at least. We get 24 micro servers in 3U. Power
   is only 105W per unit along with little heat.
   - Cost. These appliances are incredibly inexpensive for the amount of
   storage they provide. Even the smallest offerings from people like Dell/EMC
   were both a lot larger and an astonomical amount more expensive. The
   licencing is purely related to the physical appliances. Hard drives and M.2
   cache can be upgraded. You can even run on a single appliance albeit at
   much reduced resilience and lost capacity. Makes evaluation really
   inexpensive.
   - Open source standard. Anything we learn from running these appliances
   is directly translatable to any Ceph install. Anything we learned on
   Dell/EMC would be yet more lock in to Dell/EMC.

We intend to experiment with Rook in the near future but our inexperience
of both Kubernetes and Ceph made this option too risky for the initial
stages. If we run Rook properly we think we can be able to co-locate things
like databases with their OSD and storage on one server so that performance
is optimal while having the management control of Ceph. But the bulk of our
data storage is exactly that and doesn't require massive performance.