From: Void Star Nill <void.star.nill@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 8, 2020 1:14 PM
To: ceph-users
Subject: [Suspicious newsletter]  Weird performance issue with long heartbeat and slow ops warnings

Email received from outside the company. If in doubt don't click links nor open attachments!
________________________________

Hello,

I have a ceph cluster running 14.2.11. I am running benchmark tests with
FIO concurrently on ~2000 volumes of 10G each. During the time initial
warm-up FIO creates a 10G file on each volume before it runs the actual
read/write I/O operations. During this time, I start seeing the Ceph
cluster reporting about 35GiB/s write throughput for a while, but after
some time I start seeing "long heartbeat" and "slow ops" warnings and in a
few mins the throughput drops to ~1GB/s and stays there until all FIO runs
complete.

The cluster has 5 monitor nodes and 10 data nodes - each with 10x3.2TB NVME
drives. I have setup 3 OSD for each NVME, so there are a total of 300 OSDs.
Each server has 200GB uplink and there's no apparent network bottleneck as
the network is set up to support over 1Tbps bandwidth. I dont see any CPU
or memory issues also on the servers.

There is a single manager instance running on one of the mons.

The pool is configured for 3 replication factor with min_size of 2. I tried
to use pg_num of 8192 and 16384 and saw the issue with both settings.

Could you please suggest if this is a known issue or if I can tune any
parameters?

           Long heartbeat ping times on back interface seen, longest is
1202.120 msec
            Long heartbeat ping times on front interface seen, longest is
1535.191 msec
            35 slow ops, oldest one blocked for 122 sec, daemons
[osd.135,osd.14,osd.141,osd.143,osd.149,osd.15,osd.151,osd.153,osd.157,osd.162]...
have slow ops.

Regards,
Shridhar

This message is confidential and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by copyright or other legal rules. If you have received it by mistake please let us know by reply email and delete it from your system. It is prohibited to copy this message or disclose its content to anyone. Any confidentiality or privilege is not waived or lost by any mistaken delivery or unauthorized disclosure of the message. All messages sent to and from Agoda may be monitored to ensure compliance with company policies, to protect the company's interests and to remove potential malware. Electronic messages may be intercepted, amended, lost or deleted, or contain viruses.