Re: ceph-volume quite buggy compared to ceph-disk

 > Did you have any success with `ceph-volume` for activating your OSD?

No, I have tried with ceph-volume prepare and ceph-volume activate, but
got errors also. The only way for me to currently create an osd without
hasle is:

ceph-volume lvm zap --destroy /dev/sdf &&
 ceph-volume lvm create --data /dev/sdf --dmcrypt

and really like this, with the &&
But first read this[1] before you use this.

 > I am having a similar problem where the command `ceph-bluestore-tool`
 >fails to be able to read a label for a previously created OSD on an
 >LVM partition. I had previously been using the OSD without issues, but
 >after a reboot it fails to load.

ceph-volume is creating the systemd links I think, so if you go even
more low level you have to create these yourself. Check if your
ceph-volumes are existing and are mounted. I have them like this.

[@ ~]#  find /etc/ -iname "*ceph-volume*"
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ceph-volume@lvm-38-7cfec20d-
e963-4908-b4fc-0020f050a0d3.service

 > 1. I had initially created my OSD using Ceph Octopus 15.x with `ceph
 >orch daemon add osd <my hostname>:boot/cephfs_meta` that was able to
 >create an OSD on the LVM partition and bring up an OSD.
 > 2. After a reboot, the OSD fails to come up, with error from
 >`ceph-bluestore-tool` happening inside the container specifically
 >being unable to read the label of the device.

check these systemd entries and/or logs I guess ;)

 > 3. When I query the symlinked device /dev/boot/cephfs_meta ->
 >/dev/dm3, with `dmsetup info /dev/dm-3`, I can see the state is active
 >and that it has a UUID, etc.

I have these for a running osd, you have to check indeed if the tags are
existing on the vg. I think this is the process of an lvm dmcrypt osd[2]

[@ ~]# dmsetup ls --tree
H1U5hz-j51i-HLeY-wzHx-Rqzv-buSc-xVIGnB (253:7)
 └─ceph--bb97bd0e--9edb--4d29--b6e8--0876359edc3c-osd--block--23bf0dfe
--6678--4633--b7ac--f4133da785be (253:6

[@ ~]# lvs
  LV                                             VG
                  Attr       LSize    Pool Origin Data%
  osd-block-b232f7a5-8409-4992-ad4d-b5bbb8ffa2e1
ceph-e459af98-4013-4860-84b8-2eb80fbd2f57 -wi-ao----   <7.28t

 > 4. I installed `ceph-osd` CentOS package providing the
 >ceph-bluestore-tool, and tried to manually test and `sudo
 >ceph-bluestore-tool show-label --dev /dev/dm-3` fails to read the
 >label. When I try with other OSD's that were created for entire disks
 >this command is able to read the label and print out information.
 >
 > I am considering submitting a ticket to the ceph issue tracker, as I
 >am unable to figure out why the ceph-bluestore-tool cannot read the
 >labels and it seems either the OSD was initially created incorrectly
 >or there is a bug in ceph-bluestore-tool.

I cannot advice on this because I have not a clear understanding on what
the procedure is to create and osd on this level.

 > One possibility is that I did not have the LVM2 package installed on
 >this host prior to the `ceph orch daemon add ..` command and this
 >caused a particular issue with the LVM partition OSD.

I am using centos7, which has the lvm2 by default. I am also having
problems.

[1]
https://www.mail-archive.com/ceph-users@xxxxxxx/msg06624.html

[2]