Re: How OSD encryption affects latency/iops on NVMe, SSD and HDD

Some tests on dmcrypted (aes-xts-plain64, 512 bit) vs non-dmcrypted on a small SAS SSD drive. Latencies are reported at 99.9 percentile

fio 4k, direct, sync, QD1
==========================
                         WRITE                         READ
                    IOPS     LATENCIES(us)        IOPS    LATENCIES(us)
      Base         17.5k       85                  20.4k      79
      Encrypted     5.58k      685                 10.2k      206

fio 4k, direct, sync, QD32
==========================
                         WRITE                         READ
                    IOPS     LATENCIES(us)        IOPS    LATENCIES(us)
      Base         65.2k       1156               93.4k      742
      Encrypted    52.7k       2442               65.2k      1123

fio 4k, direct, sync, QD128
==========================
                         WRITE                         READ
                    IOPS     LATENCIES(us)        IOPS    LATENCIES(us)
      Base         65.6k       4686               94.6k      2835
      Encrypted    55.9k       12780              74.7k      3687

fio 4k, direct, sync, QD1, jobs=8
                         WRITE                         READ
                    IOPS     LATENCIES(us)        IOPS    LATENCIES(us)
      Base         51.6k       1336                  53.7k      273
      Encrypted    24.8k       1205                  43.7k      367

It looks like the biggest encryption penalty is at 4k, QD1. So perhaps the journal is most impacted (block.db and wal.db). Since the iops on the journal limit an OSD's overall iops, the real impact is at 4k/QD1. I suspect that if one could tolerate an unencrypted journal with an encrypted data OSD (as in bluestore), the overall penalty could be lower, perhaps around 20-30%.

The penalty could be much larger with faster (RAM, nvme) drives. Cloudflare did a similar test and found that it could be as much as 7x.