Re: Mount CEPH-FS on multiple hosts with concurrent access to the same data objects?

Am Dienstag, den 22.09.2020, 11:25 +0200 schrieb Stefan Kooman:
> On 2020-09-21 21:12, Wout van Heeswijk wrote:
> > Hi Rene,
> >
> > Yes, cephfs is a good filesystem for concurrent writing. When using
> > CephFS with ganesha you can even scale out.
> >
> > It will perform better but why don't you mount CephFS inside the
> > VM?

Mounting CephFS directly in the VMs in what I want to do.

> ^^ This. But it depends on the VMs you are going to use as clients.
> Do
> you trust those clients enough that they are allowed to be part of
> your
> cluster.

All VMs will be based on Debian 10.5 and be under our control.
The main VMs will run Apache, PHP 7.3/7.4 and OpenSSH (SFTP). We will
also run MariaDB-VMs for a Galera-Cluster. Additional VMs will provide
HA-Proxy for Webserver-/SFTP- and Galera-Load-Balancing and a few other
services (Postfix, Certbot, PowerDNS, ClamAV, etc.). My plan was to
mount CephFS as shared file storage in all VMs for Vhost-confgurations,
PHP, HTML, Javascript and documents/media-files and any other files we
need on all hosts/VMs in sync.

The data-center operator suggested to use a SSD-Hardware-Raid 1 with
EXT4/LVM for the Webserver- and MariaDB-VMs and store the other VMs for
live migration capability on Ceph-Storage. The SSD-based Ceph-storage
with CephFS and NFS should be to used to share files between all VMs.

We will start with 3 EPYC servers with a 10 GBit/s ethernet-mesh but
want to be able to scale-up as needed.

Basically my question is if there are any benefits of NFS on Ceph
compared to direct CephFS mounts for sharing files between VMs.