Re: Single node all-in-one install for testing

Hi,

you should be able to add the OSD manually directly on the host with:

ceph-volume lvm create --data {vg name/lv name}

Regards,
Eugen

Zitat von "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx>:

I have one spare machine with a single 1TB on it, and I'd like to test
a local Ceph install.  This is just for testing, I don't care that it
won't have redundancy, failover, etc.  Is there any canonical
documentation for this case?

	- - -

Longer story is this morning I found this documentation through many
Google searches:
https://medium.com/@balderscape/setting-up-a-virtual-single-node-ceph-storage-cluster-d86d6a6c658e

It kind of works up to a point.  I was able to get Ceph installed, get
both the command line and web interfaces up and running, and got as
far as:

# ceph status
  cluster:
    id:     723e09aa-dbd3-11ea-8587-94c691189836
    health: HEALTH_WARN
            Reduced data availability: 1 pg inactive
            OSD count 0 < osd_pool_default_size 3

  services:
    mon: 1 daemons, quorum dev1 (age 77m)
    mgr: dev1.ziibhq(active, since 76m)
    osd: 0 osds: 0 up, 0 in

  data:
    pools:   1 pools, 1 pgs
    objects: 0 objects, 0 B
    usage:   0 B used, 0 B / 0 B avail
    pgs:     100.000% pgs unknown
             1 unknown

# ceph orch device ls
HOST PATH TYPE SIZE DEVICE AVAIL REJECT REASONS
dev1  /dev/sdb  hdd   14.9G  Cruzer_Blade_4C530210050318117591  True
dev1 /dev/sda hdd 931G WDC_WD10JFCX-68N_WD-WXD1AB73AUX5 False LVM detected, locked

(The USB stick is left over from the install and isn't suitable as an OSD).

However I've been completely unable to add any OSDs using the local
disk.  The disk (/dev/sda3) is a PV and there is plenty of space.  I
even created some devices that I was hoping to use as OSDs:

# lvs
LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  osd1 rhel_dev1 -wi-a----- 100.00g
  osd2 rhel_dev1 -wi-a----- 100.00g
  osd3 rhel_dev1 -wi-a----- 100.00g
  root rhel_dev1 -wi-ao----  50.00g
  swap rhel_dev1 -wi-ao----  <7.84g

but it simply doesn't do anything when I try to add them:

# ceph orch daemon add osd localhost:rhel_dev1/osd1
(no error, exit code 0)

So I guess the fact that the device is marked as "AVAIL = False" and
"locked" is bad somehow.  Can I add the OSDs anyway?

Rich.