Re: Poor Windows performance on ceph RBD.

> > To anyone who is following this thread, we found a possible explanation for
> > (some of) our observations.

> If someone is following this, they probably want the possible
> explanation and not the knowledge of you having the possible
> explanation.

> So you are saying if you do eg. a core installation (without gui) of
> 2016/2019 disable all services. The fio test results are signficantly
> different to eg. a centos 7 vm doing the same fio test? Are you sure
> this is not related to other processes writing to disk?

Right, its not an explanation but rather a further observation. We don't really have an explanation yet.

Its an identical installation of both server versions, same services configured. Our operators are not really into debugging Windows, that's why we were asking here. Their hypothesis is, that the VD driver for accessing RBD images has problems with Windows servers newer than 2016. I'm not a Windows guy, so can't really comment on this.

The test we do is a simple copy-test of a single 10g file and we monitor the transfer speed. This info was cut out of this e-mail, the original report for reference is: https://lists.ceph.io/hyperkitty/list/ceph-users@xxxxxxx/message/ANHJQZLJT474B457VVM4ZZZ6HBXW4OPO/ .

We are very sure that it is not related to other processes writing to disk, we monitor that too. There is also no competition on the RBD pool at the time of testing.

Best regards,
Frank Schilder
AIT Risø Campus
Bygning 109, rum S14