Re: Placement of block/db and WAL on SSD?

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 6:57 AM Lindsay Mathieson
<lindsay.mathieson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nautilus install.
>
> Documentation seems a bit ambiguous to me - this is for a spinner + SSD,
> using ceph-volume
>
> If I put the block.db on the SSD with
>
>      "ceph-volume lvm create --bluestore --data /dev/sdd --block.db
> /dev/sdc1"
>
> does the wal exists on the ssd (/dev/sdc1) as well, or does it remain on
> the hdd (/dev/sdd)?

If the wal location is not explicitly specified, it goes together with
the db. So it is on the SSD.

> Conversely, what happens with the block.db if I place the wal with
> --block.wal

The db then stays with the data.

> Or do I have to setup separate partitions for the block.db and wal?

You can, in theory, provide all three devices, but nobody does that in practice.

Common setups are:

1) just --data, then the db and its wal are located on the same device;
2) --data on HDD and --block.db on a partition on the SSD (the wal
automatically goes together with the db). The partition needs to be 30
or 300 GB in size (this requirement was relaxed only very recently, so
let's not count on this), but not smaller than 1-4% of the data
device.
3) --data on something (then the db goes there as well) and
--block.wal on a small (i.e. not large enough to use as a db device)
but very fast nvdimm.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
CV: http://pc.cd/PLz7